Hey there, how many of you face crazy mornings? Getting kids ready? Getting chores done and practically sprinting out of the house to catch your train/bus / taxi or beat the rush hour traffic? In this madness, how often do you skip your grooming? I say grooming here and not makeup because makeup can be skipped but not grooming. There are times I have left without as much as brushing my hair. But then, I realised that there are time-saving devices that can be fit into the crazy routines. Here are the 5 Time Saving Grooming Tips that I try.
5 Time Saving Grooming Tips for Crazy Mornings
1. Use Oil to Moisturise
Apply a bit of oil on your face while you do your chores. Let it absorb well before your bath. Your skin will feel much smoother and softer after the bath. I used to use Olive and Coconut earlier but have now tried Almond and Sesame too. I like Olive Oil and Almond Oil the best for this purpose. Have tried Vitamin E Oil as well but that is too heavy for my oily skin. You can choose one that suits your skin type the best. I don’t like applying oil overnight as that invariably gives rise to a zit. Again I feel it is my oily skin at work. If you are up to a little more effort, make your own organic moisturiser using Washed Ghee method.
2. Stock your skincare in the shower for easy access
Keep all your skincare products in the shower. Even if you apply a face mask for five minutes while you shampoo your hair, it gives you some benefit. Having to hunt around will ensure it never gets done. Cleansers and Scrubs especially must be in the shower. If you rely on kitchen remedies for skincare, here are some ideas to use them –
- Keep a small pot of gram flour / besan in your bathroom and use it instead of a face wash. This one is courtesy Ikya from Makeup Monologues. This tip came as a blessing to my pigmented, patchy, ignored skin. A very easy way to give it some TLC is slap on kitchen goodies. Readymade packs and facewashes are good but there is a reason Besan Uptan is a classic beauty fix known in all kitchens 🙂
- Keep some baking soda in your bathroom too. Make a thick paste with water while showering as use it as a scrub for your elbows, knees and ankle. This can also work as a teeth whitening treatment while you shower. Multitasking is the key!
3. Tame that Mane
Get an easy to maintain haircut. Be it messy layers or permanent straightening. Something that is easy to style on the run. I have cut my hair really short now and realised that it does make things easy to have a style that allows you to wash and go! Two tips for making it even easier to tame that mane –
- If you have bangs, you will love this one. Styling bangs on a daily basis can be a pain and there is always the temptation of pinning them back. Pin them, but to the side of your forehead where you want the bangs to fall. Keep them pinned all morning and release them when you get to work. Perfectly styled bangs without a blow dry or flat iron!
- Invest in a good dry shampoo for days where you do not have time to wash your hair. A few spritz and you are good to go. I highly recommend Batiste dry shampoo. The floral fragrance is my absolute favourite!
4. Get Your Skin Care and Makeup Organised
Keep your skin care and makeup stash well organised. Trust me, you do not want to spend time looking for your moisturiser, perfume or hair serum when you have literally ten minutes to get ready. I am truly guilty of not doing this and hunting frantically for that lipstick and that liner I fancy on a particular day! I now keep my lipsticks in a transparent plastic box and liners in a mug on the dresser.
5. Plan Outfits in Advance
In spite of all these, I am still seen rushing out of the house on all mornings. So, what are your time-saving tips???
From my now dead makeup blog Novice Makeup. I miss beauty blogging and hence re-posting an old post here.