Once upon a time, I used to be addicted to TV. Then, family, child, career and even blogging took precedence over TV and I realised that I could not follow a schedule for TV. Hence daily or weekly shows took a back seat. I mostly watch TV on weekends now and that too for movies or lifestyle shows that are a standalone capsule. Over time, I began to miss the series and took to watching them on YouTube. Here is a list of TV shows that I can watch any time –
- Castle – A ruggedly handsome mystery novel writer teams up with a gorgeous NYPD detective and together they solve homicides in the big bad city of New York. While the main focus of each episode is the homicide, the personal lives of the characters runs thru the series. In the earlier seasons, you could watch each episode as a standalone but a lot of back story has accumulated in 8 seasons. I still like the show for the mildly intriguing investigation and the banter of the lead pair. The fact that both of them look so good is an added benefit!
- Sarabhai vs Sarabhai – Aired in the early 2000s, this show has held up standards of Indian comedy that no one has been able to match yet. In my opinion, this is one of the most successful Indian comedy shows. Centrered around the upper-class Sarabhai family, this was all about family dynamics. I loved the characters: the oh-so-sophisticated Mother In Law Maya and her middle-class value bearing daughter in law Monisha, Maya’s husband Indravadan who is a complete antithesis of her and their son who often gets caught between mother and wife! Throw in the mix a wannabe poet with the knack of absurd poetry and even more absurd theatre plays and you have guffaws guaranteed. The best part about the show was that the comdey was very clean and people of all ages found it funny. It is sad that the show ran only for 2 years. There have been rumors about a second season and I hope they bring it back! Update: Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai is coming back as a web series after taking a time leap and if you need any convincing about why you should watch it, read 15 reasons why you should !
- Full House – This was the one show I was addicted to in school and college! I saw it every evening and loved it. A cute family comedy about a widower with three daughters and two of his friends helping out to raise them. The best part about the show was that it evolved with the years. The girls grow older, the challenges faced by the family change and the show adopts to it. It ran for 8 seasons and the cast did not change once. There were no time jumps. It went on as a slice of life. This show was the one that made the Olsen twins shoot to fame. They played the youngest daughter in the show 🙂
- What Not To Wear – My first brush with makeover shows and I was hooked! This has to be the best makeover show ever. I learned a lot about dressing for my body type watching this. I have seen and liked both the British and the American versions. They are different in terms of presentation but the format is the same. While I still buy some unflattering clothes in the name of experimenting, I learnt some solid basics from these guys. I would definitely want to share that with all of you and that is the subject of another post now!
- Friends – Who has not heard of Friends now? I got on the bandwagon very late and if there is nothing else, then Friends is always available to watch 🙂
What about you guys. What are your favourite TV shows?